Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Completing the basic "run" description, and off to tonight's run

So, when there is a camper, he's usually asleep, or trying to sleep. It's almost always "he," though, sometimes it may be "she." I open the door from the inside, poke my head out, and awaken the camper, usually with something like "sir. sir. SIR. good evening. I'm sorry to disturb you, but, you can't sleep here." Usually, the camper wakes up, and says something like "oh. ok. i'll go." If the camper is a bit more confrontational, curious, or maybe just articulate, he'll ask something like "why?" or "by what authority?" I'll explain that it's my job to tell them that they can't sleep here, and that if they don't leave, my job is to call 9-1-1, and put us through "that whole process." I apologize for not having good camping facilities, and offer to fetch a copy of the ROAR guide to resources for the homeless for them. If they take me up on the offer, or if they have lots of stuff to pack up, I tell them that I'll be back in about 10 minutes, to give them some time to wake up and collect themselves. Then, I walk down to the Church Office, do an interior check of locked doors, lights, fans, fountain, and radio, and latch shut any windows I found open on my outdoor window walk. If I need a copy of the ROAR guide, I pick it up at the Office. Then, I lock the Office, turn off the elevator power, verify that the Thrift Shop door is locked, and prepare to go back to my own apartment via Fellowship Hall, unless there was a camper. If there was one, it's now been long enough for me to go and give them their ROAR guide, and verify that they are either leaving or already gone. Returning to my apartment via Fellowship Hall, I turn out the last lights in the hall.

Off to tonight...

1 comment:

Paul V Roby, MD said...

Peaceful. No campers. A cracked pane of glass by the Harvard lower entrance, and an elevator door malfunction. Choir room lights are restored.

Peace.